1. To tell us what is missing in our life. The new dress on sale, the new cell phone in the market, the new car that he bought.
2. To help us judge our social standing and success. It feels good when we earn more than our friends.
3. To gossip to and gossip about
4. To listen while we crib. About topics ranging from parents and bosses to the latest stock market crash.
5. To dole out advice to. On food and looks, life and love, so that we feel all good and smart.
6. To stay over with, when we have a fight at home.
7. To pamper our mood when we are feeling low. Throw a party, order some icecream.
8. To take care of the kids when we want to go to the movies.
9. To make us feel that single (or committed) is good. We all are in it together.
10. To pamper our egos. To read the silly stuff that we come up with at 1 am and tell us that its a creative genius.
I guess we all are selfish when it comes to friends, though we hate to admit it. That is what makes friendship so cherished - we can all be selfish together, without feeling guilty about it.